Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Must Listen For His Voice

Jesus said, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." (John 10:27)

A friend recently related to me how he had shouted down a fundamentalist (I believe he called the person "a right winger Christian") by asking him, since the other guy said he took The Bible literally, "How does it feel to be a sheep?" I saw no need to respond at the time. My friend was in transmit mode and his receiving program appeared to be shut down at that moment. The fact that I did not try to reason (okay, I wanted to argue with him, I admit it!) is a small miracle in itself. Instead, I contemplated my friends story. Later that evening after I had decided that it felt quite nice to be a sheep, I almost called my friend to thank him but I realized I still just wanted to argue with him.

How wonderful it is to be a sheep! I do not have to know the answers. I do not have to understand how things work or why they happen. I do not have to be able to explain anything to anybody. I am not responsible for their enlightenment. All I have to do is hear my master's voice and follow it where ever it leads me.

I will try to revisit this in a few days. For now, it might help us all to contemplate this process from our individual perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment