Sunday, August 29, 2010

The complacency of fools will destroy them.

    - Proverbs 1:32, second sentence (New American Standard Bible)

Wisdom is the speaker - the author - of the portion of the proverb that includes this warning. Wisdom is shouting in the street, imploring any and all to listen and obey her words (vs. 20-21). The picture created in my mind by this proverb always has been that no one follows wisdom or listens to her. Although she offers her answers freely, she is ignored - disregarded.

How often have I missed this lesson of complacency while focusing on the other wisdoms of the proverbs? How often am I contented to a fault (especially with my own accomplishments), pleased with myself, appathetic, casual or indifferent?  What will I do today to gain wisdom? Once I hear it, how will I implement her instruction? What must I do to surrender my will and my actions to receive the benefit of her warning and instruction?

Please, take a few minutes to contemplate this idea? Should you have similar concerns about yourself?  I do not ask that you listen to me. I implore you to listen for wisdom and to heed her warning. I do not wish that either of us would perish.

No comments:

Post a Comment